I refer to a post by JustMeInT titled “Enjoy your Avocado“.
If you, like me are sick and tired of the ‘eat less fat’ – and ‘fat is bad for you’ advertising hype, from media
and dieticians, then JUMP with JOY and relax – all is not as bad as it may seem.
There are bad fats – we all know by now that ‘trans-fats’ are to be avoided….. There are good ones – the natural trans-fats but they are rarely spoken about. I would bet most dieticians are not really familiar with them at all, so let’s leave them out of this discussion.
The bad ones (trans-fats) are artificially made, not found in nature and are damaging to the human body. Look for the term ‘hydrogenation’ on the label, and you will discover trans-fats.
We are being bombarded in the media with the spiel that we need to cut back on our fat consumption and eat more proceeded grains. Nothing could be further from the truth. There is ample evidence that cutting back on cereals, grains, flours and processed junk foods is beneficial and healthy, while at the same time consuming good fats from meats, fish and fruits will improve both your waist line and your arteries.
The conundrum comes when we see the variety of fats available. This is not really such a problem if you keep the following in mind:
Confused About Fats? The following nutrient-rich traditional fats have nourished healthy population groups for thousands of years:
- Tallow and suet from beef and lamb
- Lard from pigs
- Chicken, goose and duck fat
- Coconut, palm and palm kernel oils
- Extra virgin olive oil (also OK for cooking)
- Expeller-expressed sesame and peanut oils
- Expeller-expressed flax oil (in small amounts)
- Fish liver oils such as cod liver oil (preferable to fish oils, which do not provide fat-soluble vitamins, can cause an overdose of unsaturated fatty acids and usually come from farmed fish.)
The following newfangled fats can cause cancer, heart disease, immune system dysfunction, sterility, learning disabilities, growth problems and osteoporosis:
There is much more and a reference to a more extensive article worth reading, linked here.
- Butter vs. Margarine: How To Choose (huffingtonpost.com)
- As clear as mud? Sorting through vegetable oil claims (knoxnews.com)
- Margarine Is Lower in Fat, But Butter’s Still Better (blisstree.com)
- The Butter Battle, my first food rant (cheriebouma.wordpress.com)
- Facts About Belly Fat (donteatdirt.com)
- How To Choose A Good Coconut Oil (wapfchicago.com)
- Trans Fats Are On The Out, What’s In? (valerieberkowitz.wordpress.com)
- Research: Trans-Fats Increase Risk of Depression, While Olive Oil Helps Avoid Risk (xeniagreekmuslimah.wordpress.com)
- Saturated Fats Are Good for You (lewrockwell.com)